Development and Planning Documents

Development and Planning Documents

Town of Millet Planning and Development Policies

The Municipal Government Act (MGA) is the legislative framework in which it lays the foundation for how municipalities operate, how municipal Councils function and how citizens can work with their municipalities.

The MGA provides the governance model for cities, towns, villages, municipal districts, specialized municipalities, and other forms of local government in Alberta.

In making decisions regarding issues of planning and development, municipalities have much to consider, including federal and provincial legislation, environmental and historical impacts, and the approved policies of the municipality itself. 

To access bylaws and statutory documents related to development in Millet, click the link below. 

Development Bylaws and Statutory Documents



The land use bylaw is a document approved by council which has been delegated to guide and regulate the uses and development of the land within the Town of Millet.  For the most current LUB, view Bylaw 2018-11

This bylaw outlines the type of development permitted in each land use district including rules and regulations. By obtaining a development permit, you have assurance that your development complies with the guided regulations of the Land Use Bylaw. In addition, if you require a letter respecting compliance, you will know that the improvements on your property have the proper permits in place.

The town requires an approved development permit prior to the start of most developments. Not all proposed development requires the issuance of a permit, examples are; small sheds under 10m2, minor structures, some decks and porches depending on height and size and fences.

The applicant for a development permit is responsible to ensure that the development does not have any conflict with existing or abandoned oilfield related structures. eg. Abandoned well bores etc. The ERCB Customer Care Center can be contacted by calling 1-855-297-8311 or email

The applicant for a development permit is responsible to provide a copy of all registered utility right-of-way documents registered against the subject site. Where a utility right of way is registered on the title of a property, no development permit will be issued for a building or use that contravenes the rights of the grantee within the utility right-of-way document unless written consent has been obtained from the grantee.

No building footing or cantilevered portion of the building or roof eave shall encroach into or above a utility right-of-way unless written consent has been obtained from the grantee.

Where a historical utility right-of-way exists and there is no evidence of an operating underground or overhead utility within the right-of-way, the Development Authority may consider issuing a development permit after consultation with all utility companies.

Contact the Planning and Development department to find out if your development(s) require a permit @ (780) 387-4554 or email: 


Section 633 of the Municipal Government Act provides an opportunity for municipalities to provide a framework for subsequent development of an area of land through the creation of an Area Structure Plan (ASP).

An ASP is a statutory plan that provides land use policies for a specific area within the municipality. Such a plan describes the sequence of development proposed for an area, land uses, the density of population and the location of transportation and public utilities in the plan area.


  • Safety Code Act
  • New Home Warranty Act
  • Alberta Builder Licensing
  • Condominium Property Act
  • Subdivision & Development Act