Compliance Certificates and Surveys

Compliance Certificates

What is a Compliance Certificate?

A compliance certificate is a written confirmation from the Town of Millet indicating that existing building(s) and/or structures are in compliance with the requirements of the current Land Use Bylaw.

The Town of Millet does not require compliance certificates, often lawyers or lending institutions will request one when you are selling or purchasing a home, or refinancing an existing mortgage. A request for a compliance certificate shall be in writing and must include two copies of an original or otherwise acceptable Real Property Report that has been signed, dated and stamped by an Alberta Land Surveyor. All Real Property Reports older than two (2) years must include a Statutory Declaration indicating no changes have been made to the property.

The fees for a Compliance Certificate are:

Residential $85.00 (prepared within 3 working days)
Residential Rush $170 (prepared within 1 working day)
Non-Residential $110 (prepared within 3 working days)
Non-Residential Rush $220 (prepared within 1 working day)

Fees for compliance certificates are established by 2022-14.

Lot Grading

Lot grading is a vital component of new home construction. The purpose of lot grading is to provide good drainage away from buildings and adjacent properties for the benefit of property owners.

Lot Grading and Municipalities
Many municipalities require a Lot Grading Certificate to ensure grading is done properly and in compliance with municipal requirements. Actual requirements vary from municipality to municipality.

What Does a Lot Grading Certificate Show?
A Lot Grading Certificate is a document that can be prepared by an Alberta Land Surveyor. It shows several current elevations of a lot in comparison with design grades that were previously approved by the municipality. It is intended to show where water will drain on a property. The Lot Grading Certificate may need to be submitted to the municipality for rough and final grade approvals. Approval is based on the requirements of a municipality and is subject to their inspection.

If You Require a Lot Grading Certificate
If you require a Lot Grading Certificate, it may be more convenient to contact the Alberta Land Surveyor, if you know who it is, who prepared the subdivision plan or real property report.

Real Property Report

This type of survey plan is prepared specifically to illustrate the location of buildings or structures relative to the boundaries of a property. It also shows the location of any other physical features and registered encumbrances, such as easements, on or adjacent to the property. In a Real Estate transaction, a current RPR (Real Property Report) provides the purchaser, seller, lawyer, lending institution, title insurer, municipality, and the Realtor with an accurate representation of the property prior to the purchase being completed.

Plot Plan/Site Plan

A plot plan is an architecture, engineering, and/or landscape architecture plan drawing—diagram which shows the buildings, utility runs, and equipment layout, the position of roads, and other constructions of an existing or proposed project site at a defined scale.[1] Plot plans are also known more commonly as site plans. The plot plan is a 'top-down' orientation. The specific objects and relations shown are dependent on the purpose for creating the plot plan, but typically contain: retained and proposed buildings, landscape elements, above ground features and obstructions, major infrastructure routes, and critical legal considerations such as property boundaries, setbacks, and rights-of-way.

Specific design disciplines' plot plans can be part of a complex project's documents, such as grading, landscape, foundation engineering, and utilities (e.g. in architecture, a plot plan drawing shows all the major features and structures on a piece of property like: buildings, porches, decks, sheds, swimming pool, etc.).

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Reference: Jump up ^ Lockhart, Shawna (2013). Tutorial Guide to AutoCAD. SD

For additional information please visit the Alberta Land Surveyor Association website @ They also have brochures on Real Property Reports, Fences, Boundary Markers, Lot Grading, Easement & Right-of-Ways, Oil and Gas and more…….