Senior Accounting Clerk
Senior Accounting Clerk
Hours of Work: 70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay: Based on experience
This is accounting and clerical work of moderate complexity which requires significant knowledge of all departmental accounting and clerical operations in the Finance Department. The incumbent performs general accounting and monthly reconciliations related to general ledger accounts and produces monthly reports including those required to meet legislative and external reporting.
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities
- Processing preauthorized payments
- Reconciles clearing accounts and related balance sheet accounts.
- Reconciles and monitors accounts interfaced with external software programs
- Completes monthly bank transactions/entries and reconciliations.
- Assists in preparing year-end working papers for external auditors.
- Review of accounts payable and receivable for accuracy
- Review of cash transactions for accuracy
- Processing monthly and biweekly payroll
- Process benefits
- Reconcile and file LAPP
- File quarterly GST returns
- Able to deal effectively with internal and external contacts and provide routine information and assistance.
- Provide monthly financial reports to management for review
- Upload JE’s into the GL
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of legislation, policies, guidelines and procedures related to financial accounting.
- Knowledge of the application of Goods and Services Tax (GST), Provincial Sales Tax
- Knowledge of Alberta labour standards
- Minimum 2 years experience in accounting or a similar roll.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public and a variety of other contacts in processing inquiries and complaints and ability to provide a variety of information and related services in a professional manner; plus, ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to perform basic accounting, including knowledge of account classification, modern business practices and the procedures used in receiving and recording remittances.
- Ability to perform duties with accuracy and attention to detail within established rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to type a variety of material, compose routine correspondence, prepare, maintain files, records, reports and related material.
- Ability to exercise initiative and make decisions in accordance with applicable rules, regulations and policies.
- Ability to prioritize workloads, to work independently with minimal guidelines and supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment and with a safety‐first attitude.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, prepare a variety of written materials, and respond to a variety of enquiries related to the work.
- Considerable knowledge of clerical practices and systems related to the work.
- Sound knowledge of computer systems and software applications, including database management.
Please send resume to email@example.com
Knowledge of municipal finance is an asset.
The Town thanks all who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.