Millet Senior Groups and Clubs
Millet & District Seniors - Contact Joanne Maynard 780-387-4187
Promoting senior activities & meetings for health & wellness. Floor Curling at the Community Hall on Mondays 1:00pm -3:00pm, Crib Tournaments, Millet Legion 2nd Tuesday of the Month at 1:00pm – 3:00pm & Bus Trips. Pot Luck Meetings on the last Wednesday of each Month at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 229.
Chair: Joanne Maynard, Vice Chair: Peggy Robinson, Secretary: Irene Knull, Treasurer: Mary Hegge
Millet & District Arts & Crafts Guild - Contact Clara Hampson 780-387-7413
Promoting Arts, Crafts & Culture in our Community. Handcrafted items for sale at many local events and Millet Museum. Proceeds going to various charities. Meetings on the 4th Tuesday of every month at 1:15pm except July & December. $20.00 Membership, Quilting – Mondays 1:00pm-3:00pm; Weaving – Thursdays 9:30am -11:30am
President: Clara Hampson; Secretary: Viola Rudolph; Treasurer: Peggy Robinson
Millet in Bloom - Contact Carol Sadoroszney 780-216-1378
Millet in Bloom is a committee of council committed to foster civic pride, environmental responsibility, and beautification through community involvement with the focus of enhancing the green spaces in Millet. Programs include: Memorial Roses, Park, Benches, Receptacles & Trees. Events: Community Spring Clean Up, Community Wide Garage Sale, Local Competition Contest, Volunteer Appreciation Dinner/Competition Awards & Welcome National & Local Judges Evening. Christmas Wreath Fundraiser. March to November meet on the 2nd Tuesday of each Month. For more information, you can visit www.milletinbloom.ca
President: Carol Sadoroszney
99 Active Living Ideas for Older Adults
Excerpt from Alberta Centre for Active Living
- Be bold and try an activity you've never done before!
- Chop your own firewood for a blazing fire.
- Go skating on the frozen lakes in the parks
- Take a heritage walk and then go for frozen yogurt.
- Schedule activity breaks into your day.
- Move your feet to the line dance and sing along.
- Don't sink in the snow, go snowshoeing.
- Get outdoors and try lawn bowling.
- Move your feet to the beat and clog dance.
- Schedule a shuffleboard tournament with a group of friends.
- Start a small balcony garden.
- Jump for your heart-skip rope.
- Get outdoors, enjoy the sunshine, feel alive!
- Walk your dog and your neighbour's dog.
- Learn how to cross country ski.
- Take a five-minute active break when playing cards.
- Go for a walk in the rain without an umbrella.
- Take along binoculars and go bird watching with a group for the afternoon.
- Walk barefoot on the beach.
- Shovel your sidewalk.
- Follow an exercise program on T.V.
- Sweep into curling.
- Take a woodworking course.
- Participate in a woodworking class.
- Participate in a travel club and see the world.
- Take along a walking stick and go hiking.
- Practice your balance by toe walking along a line in your kitchen.
- Re-decorate your home.
- Join a senior's activity group at church.
- Whether in a tent or trailer, go camping and explore Alberta.
- Organize a neighborhood croquet or lawn dart tournament.
- Grab a friend and try aqua jogging in the pool.
- Go walking & window shopping.
- If you like water, try aqua aerobics.
- Join a community T'ai chi group or try a home exercise video.
- Hand wash your car with pride.
- Take part in a summer event.
- Help out and do chores on the farm.
- Cycle, wheel, run or walk to work.
- Move to the rhythm of music in the summer.
- Bend and stretch while watching commercials.
- Jump in the lake, just for the fun of it!
- Go fly a kite!
- Join a mall walking club.
- Wiggle your fingers and toes.
- Take phone calls standing up.
- Join in the fun and attend a street festival.
- Carry your groceries to maintain strength.
- Take group dancing lessons.
- Join a team and try carpet bowling.
- Participate in the Alberta Senior's Games.
- Test your reaction time at table tennis.
- Build a snowman with your child.
- Walk through a gallery and meet an artist.
- Canoe along the shore of a lake.
- Enroll in a strength training class.
- Canvass door to door for your favorite charity.
- Try sailing and windsurfing.
- Contract and release your stomach muscles while talking on the phone.
- Test your aim at archery.
- Discover nature and animals by taking a walk around the zoo.
- Challenge a friend to a round of golf.
- Use your chair as a piece of fitness equipment!
- Sweep your sidewalk and patio.
- Improve your flexibility through yoga.
- Go biking in the river valley.
- Walk to a fiends house and back for dinner.
- Make your bed every morning.
- Dig, prune and weed your garden.
- Get wet and swim some laps.
- Walk to a new location on your coffee break.
- Try doing stretching exercises in bed.
- Play catch or frisbee with a friend.
- Exercise your legs in a paddle boat.
- Visit a historical site& experience the past.
- Put on your favorite polka and clean the house.
- Push-mow the lawn to strengthen your arms and legs.
- Water all the plants in the building.
- Volunteer at a day care or school.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Try raking leaves for an upper body work out.
- Go for a picnic in the park.
- Laugh more......try to make someone else laugh!
- Learn to fly fish on one of Alberta's lakes or rivers.
- Park far away from the shopping mall.
- Strike out and try bowling!
- Climb a hill and shout "hurray" at the top.
- Join a weekly activity group.
- Try a new racquet sport at the community league.
- Play bocce ball at the family barbeque.
- Folk dance or square dance with friends.
- Have a friend teach you how to roller blade.
- Help build a house for a family in need.
- Set up a hall-walking club in your residence.
- Babysit your grandchildren for the afternoon.
- Exhibit your dramatic flair by acting in a play.
- Do arm circles in front of the T.V.
- Participate in a parade, rally, or fundraiser run/walk.
- Do chair exercises to music in a group setting.